14 January, 2019
Chocolate Cake Recipe Best Cake For Birthday
This quick and easy chocolate cake recipe has become my all-time favorite and very easy to home made
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup oil (vegetable or canola oil)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
For the Chocolate Frosting
- 1/2 cup butter (*see note)
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
HOW TO MAKE CHOCOLATE CAKE
Start by mixing the dry and wet ingredients in separate bowls.
Add the wet/buttermilk mixture to the dry flour mixture and mix the batter until well combined. Pour boiling water into the batter and stir until smooth. The batter will be very thin!
Pour the batter into your cake pans and bake the cakes on the middle rack of the oven.
The cakes and the chocolate frosting can both be made ahead of time. Allow the cakes to cool completely, and then wrap them really well in plastic wrap and stick each layer in a ziplock freezer bag. Freeze for up to one month. I like to frost the cakes when they are frozen because they’re easier to frost.
The homemade chocolate frosting will keep well in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to two weeks, or in the freezer for up to three months. Remove the frosting from the fridge about an hour before you’re ready to frost your cake to allow it to come to room temperature.
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans.
- Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl.
- Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes.
- Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes
For a 9×13” One Layer Cake
- Grease 9×13” pan with non-stick cooking spray. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 35 to 40 minutes. Cool completely. Frost.
- Line cupcake pan with paper liners and fill 2/3 full with batter. Bake cupcakes for 22 to 25 minutes. Cool completely completely before frosting. Makes 24-30 cupcakes
For the Chocolate Frosting:
- Combine butter and cocoa powder.
- Add powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla